Friday, September 19, 2008

Game night




I attended my first board game night at Table Top Game and Hobby, my new FLGS, (http://www.tabletopgameandhobby.com/) and had a blast even though I only played one game. There were around thirty people in attendance and for the most part, everyone was very courteous and engaging. I was unable to keep track of everything that was played, but a few that come to mind are the brand new release Conflict of Heroes, Tide of Iron, Zombies, Shogun, Axis and Allies miniatures, and Heroclix. Several people brought crates full of games of all types, although the traditional wargame genre was noticeably underrepresented. The impression I got was that there is just a small cadre in the group that enjoys wargames, so I'll probably end up sticking close to them. I didn't see anyone playing Twilight Struggle, so I think I may take it along next week and try to get a game going. I might also take my copy of Conflict of Heroes so we can get a second game of that going. I was encouraged to learn that some in the group have played A Game of Thrones and enjoyed it.

I was blown away by how many people were there and by how knowledgeable and friendly they were. I doubt there's a more active gaming group anywhere else in the Midwest. I think I know how I'll be spending my Thursday nights.

No comments: